MUSINGS

Friday, April 2, 2010

Of Minds And Motifs

My boy, all of twelve years, came back from a birthday party and showed me his return gift with a befitting delight. I exhibited an equally fervid inquisitiveness to witness what my little one undid so impatiently. “Wow, Mom, it’s a chain with a lovely pendant. Shall I wear it right away?” Wide eyed, I glanced at the thing that gleamed, as it swung on suspension between his thumb and index finger. My own tastes and preferences, never allowed me to acknowledge the need for boys, as young as twelve, to be accessorized with anything that could pass off for jewellery. However, I winked at what lay before me, for it was a gift given out so fondly by the birthday boy himself. As my boy expressed the desire of sporting the chain, I intuitively took it from him and examined the pendant before giving my consent. My lad, still in his pre teens waited for my response, resentfully, however. A steel chain with a pendant that displayed a skull and cross bones nestled in the cup of my palm. I looked at the piece of adornment with horror and distaste and cringed at the thought of my bundle of joy wearing something that symbolized not life or anything analogous with it, but its distinct opposite. I succeeded in dissuading him from wearing it, but because it was a memento from a friend given on a day that he celebrated life, I allowed him to keep it in his treasure chest.

I knew exceedingly well that the image warned of danger, and wherever one saw it, one would steer clear of the area or the object that bore the hallmark. Yet, to me, it meant something greater than danger, it meant ‘death’. The symbol displayed on bottles of poison or electric boxes containing high voltage does certainly mean death of life.

Though I do not restrict myself with superstitions, dogmas and taboos, yet I am immensely taken in by the slightest images and objects that appear to be suggestive of larger details and ideas. While flowers are emblematic of happiness and red roses of love and passion, children symbolize hope and the rising sun stands for life, growth and prosperity. Similarly, owls and bats being nocturnal, typify sinister images and skulls and cross bones become equally insalubrious. This is most rightly why I never agree to possess an item of personal use that bears the mark of skull and bones. Much to his chagrin, my little boy, has discovered my disregard for anything and everything that bears this image of danger and death. To him and to all others, the figure perhaps stands for nothing more than, ‘Danger! Keep off '. Seeing it on an outfit will probably distract them to think that getting anywhere closer to the user would perhaps be disastrous. That is it. They would not comprehend any more. I guess I’m the oddball !!

Even though, we change and outgrow certain beliefs and notions, I have somehow felt incapacitated in abhorring morbid images and those that suggest negativity in any form, especially on items of clothing and personal use. Recently on a shopping trip, I agreed upon buying my son a pair of ash grey long shorts with black prints all over. I was happy to see him drool over something that looked ‘cool’. At the store, I did not quite notice the prints, but a closer look at home revealed the same skull and cross bones imprinted all over the garment. Unsettling, as it was for me, this time I prepared myself to look over, as the characters did not seem particularly striking. Besides, my boy would, in no way agree to return or change his choicest pick. I realised I had to interpret the figures differently from what theywere. As I tried doing so, after the distasteful discovery, they appeared a pattern that made little sense, but to my relief succeeded in giving up their morbidity for something abstract.

The week later as I shopped for tops, I fell in love with a black one that seemed to be tailor made for me. I showed it to my husband, my companion on the trip, with utmost glee. He liked it as much. As I tried the garment that fitted me to a T, I cast an enthused glance at the sole motif that embellished the front of the dress. I looked into the mirror in the trial room, but to my shock and dismay, noticed the same skull and cross bones that glared at me, as I adjusted the top, to have a better view of the motif. This time the character appeared all the more devilish as it lay encrusted in lustrous white stones on a black surface. I hastily changed back into my own T-shirt and wondered if at all I could pick up the piece that required me to display an image of death.

Meanwhile, I held on to my selection as I looked for other pieces in the store, but nothing whatsoever could convince me to acquire something that bore an image which seemed incongruous with the beauty and harmony that life meant to me. The smooth texture of the fabric, the cut and drape, ensnared me enough to consider the clothing a valuable addition to my wardrobe, but the motif succeeded in bringing about my disparagement for the same.

I decided against taking it, ultimately announcing my decision to my husband, about the item that had instantly elicited a ‘go for it’ from both of us the moment we had seen it. The reason clearly amused my husband in an odd, quaint way who did not wish to interfere with my decision.

I left the beautiful black garment on the billing counter, and as we left the store with our bag full of other purchases, I turned around to look at the black top for one last time. A young woman with a baby clinging to her bosom picked up the piece and looked at it approvingly. I’m sure she valued life as much as I did, and loved the little life that clung to her, in the same measure that I loved my boy. As she got the piece billed and left the store within minutes, I wondered what differentiated my perception from hers. Probably it all lay in one's mind, for what seemed rightly repugnant and ominous to me perhaps appeared promising and positive to her. Probably it amused her to think of the fact that she would effervesce a 'drop dead gorgeous' look in the outfit. Funnily enough, with the hostile adornment she could also ward off unwanted attention !

I am convinced that an image casts an impression in the mind, and vision and discernment travel from the eyes to the minds that read the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment